Thursday, August 12, 2010

Genesis

Well! Let's jump right in with introductions, shall we?

Like so, so many young women, I was first drawn to paganism and witchcraft when I was a teen. I'm not sure exactly what the catalyst was; maybe it was shelving books at the library, where I would often pass the 130s, the home of "paranormal phenomena." My gaze lingered on the titles, but most of the time I was too scared to even touch them. Even though I knew that I wasn't Christian - that there was nothing the Church could offer me - I couldn't bring myself to cast more than furtive glances at a non-monotheistic alternative (except Buddhism, and even then because most Americans perceive Buddhism as a harmless philosophy instead of a bona-fide religion).

Eventually I worked up the courage to check a few out, which I would hide under my bed when I wasn't reading them. I started my own little Book of Shadows... which my mother found, questioned me about, and though she wasn't terribly thrilled she let well enough alone. Then I lost my book, went on to college, and religion kind of fell by the wayside as I started to develop other aspects of myself.

Now I'm all grown up (kind of), and while I maintained a pantheistic, nature-centered life-view throughout college, I rarely put it into practice. I think it's past time I remedied that.

So once again I check out the 130s books and peruse the "New Age" section of bookstores, though much more confidently this time. (I'm already a weirdo in other aspects of life; what's one more?) I have a new Book of Shadows that I'm already filling with scraps of information and spells, and even pagan friends whom I can talk to. The journey will be much easier now, I hope.

Even though I'm older and (hopefully) wiser than my high-school self, I still have much to learn. I also recognize that there are many people like me - now and five years ago - who may be looking for people like them to connect with. So! Here I am! Where are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment